Sirius Wilderness Medicine is currently recruiting instructors to teach all levels of wilderness first aid. Opportunities exist for teaching assignments at locations across Canada and in regions of the arctic.
Sirius instructors are professional educators who have advanced training and extensive experience teaching and leading groups in the outdoor environment. Our instructors live and work in all parts of Canada and have a broad range of specialized wilderness first aid expertise. Through ongoing education, instructors regularly upgrade their professional knowledge and skills, enabling them to remain leaders in their field.
Sirius instructors possess the following:
- Wilderness First Responder certification
- Extensive first aid and advanced pre-hospital emergency care certification
- EMT, paramedic or nursing qualifications
- Comprehensive outdoor and wilderness travel experience
- Extensive teaching experience
- Knowledge and understanding of industry-specific safety standards and management practices
- Familiarity with remote work environments
The Sirius instructor training is an intensive 8-day residential program that takes place once a year in the Laurentians, north of Montreal, generally in the spring.
We look for candidates who fit the Sirius profile and qualifications (see above) and who have solid skills and extensive experience in the following three areas:
- working or traveling in remote regions
- paramedical field
Pre-requisite for the instructor training: Wilderness First Responder certification from Sirius Wilderness Medicine.
All applicants to the instructor training program undergo an extensive interview process with the Sirius team in the fall preceding the instructor training.
Once you have been accepted into the training program, we require you to:
- Complete the 8-day program
- Team-teach under supervision all programs prior to conducting a course
- Recertify annually through participation in Sirius’s Instructor Symposium
To be considered for our instructor training program, please email your application to
Director of Business Development and Training Programs
Plmhrathe@siriusmed.comease include the following information in your application:
- A detailed and up-to-date CV
- A detailed cover letter answering the following questions:
- How did you hear about this opportunity?
- Why do you wish to apply to become an instructor?
- What qualities do you think you can bring to Sirius Wilderness Medicine?
- What experience do you have in 1) teaching, 2) working in remote regions, 3) paramedicine?
- What are your professional goals over the next 5 years?
- What is your level of fluency in French?
If you are fluent in French, please answer questions 1, 2 and 3 in English and questions 4 and 5 in French.